Thursday, July 14, 2011

Would I enjoy studying Political Theory if I find other poli sci fields like am gov, comp. gov, and IR boring?

I've taken american politics and comparative poltics and found both classes to be pretty boring. I couldn't care less about the political differences between parties and how they fued between each other. However I did taken an ancient and modern philosophy class that had a number of philosophers who wrote about how governments should be set up, ran, and even dismantled. I read a number of theories about how the average citizen should live in order to help the greater good and all these different types of systems. Some of my favourites books have always been fictional stories about dystopian societies such as 1984 and The Iron Heel. I've never taken a political theory class, but would I enjoy it? I'm asking this because I would hate to take a political theory course only to see it just talks about what I've already learned. I find studying foreign policy of the US very dull, but I would think that studying the theory behind it such as why that policy was created in the first place or even what could happen if it was different to be much more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment